Helping to keep you informed about your North Carolina Legislature
From Cumberland County:
NC Representative John Szoka, NC Senator Wesley Meredith
NC Representative Ruth Samuelson (Republican Conference Leader)
NC Representative Jon Hardister
Also links to info from US Senators & Representatives from NC
Representative Richard Hudson, 8th District
This site is being prepared for the 2014 Campaign. It will also be used as a tool to explore and learn more about our democratic governance processes. I will periodically post personal thoughts and post links to articles, videos, and other resources; pulling into one location subject matter pertanent to understanding our unique country and what makes it work.
Values and Responsibilities of a Representative
The most important value a person can bring to the responsibility of representing their constituency is character. That person must have principles, ethics and a morality that are consistent in both their private and public life. Their guiding values should be based on a Biblical Worldview. As a future candidate, these are issues I believe in:
- Subscribe to a fiscal and socially conservative viewpoint.
- Believe in Constitutional Law with limited government intrusion into personal liberty.
Thomas Jefferson said: "In questions of power, then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
- Recognize that the government should provide protection and services for its citizens that they cannot reasonably provide for themselves, such as: national and community security; a judicial system; a postal system; transportation infrastructure; etc.
- Expect that citizens must take responsibility for the support and well being of their own lives and families.
Article: "Freedom in Black and White" People of a free society don't expect government to solve their problems.
- Demand that the government foster a viable business climate by keeping regulations and taxes to a minimum, and ensuring that businesses are not faced with unfair competition from external sources.
From our NC Constitution
Section 1. The equality and rights of persons.
We hold it to be self-evident that all persons are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, the enjoyment of the fruits of their own labor, and the pursuit of happiness.
(Comment by Richard Button: This is almost verbatim from our USA Declaration of Independence, with the addition of the phrase "...the enjoyment of the fruits of their own labor,..." which I believe was added by the framers of our NC Constitution to emphasize that each person has a right to the rewards of hard work, but their own hard work, not by taking advantage of someone else's hard work.)